Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Music of Life

Amos 5:23-24 "23 Take away from Me the noise of your songs, For I will not hear the melody of your stringed instruments."

This was the text for my devotions last night....it got me thinking...because I do LOVE music. How disturbing is it to think of God calling our songs noise? D0 we not seek to please God with our singing and our music? So, why would God ever despise it? Well, this little snippet comes from one of those many times where God is disappointed with Israel. Israel is living as a band of hypocrites, paying the Lord lip service each day so that all will see how devout they are, but they refuse to turn their hearts and lives over to the Lord. They're putting on a show...a show of righteousness and godliness. So, even though their songs may be perfectly harmonized and pleasing to the human ear, though they may dance and sway as they praise as if infatuated with praising God, God can not be deceived. As He reminds us in 1 Samuel 16:7, He looks at a person's heart...not on the outward appearance.

It reminds me of Galations 1:1o "For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ."

This raises a question for each of us...are we praising God with our lives? Or are we just performing? Our lives are meant to be praise...our lives are music...but who are we singing to? Are we singing just to hear ourselves sing? Are we singing to impress others with our talent? Or are we singing to God and God alone...a sweet love song of praise? Everyday should be lived out as a song of praise. That's why this doesn't just apply to those of us in the praise band, or the cantors, or the choir...it's everyone...even if you can't sing. God knows our hearts...what is He seeing in yours?

Let's make our lives a chorus of praise only for God. It'll be a challenge each day, but if you focus your eyes on God, He'll see you through.

I'll just leave you with some lyrics to meditate on...these are by Laurie Klein...the song: I love you Lord.

I Love You LordWords & Music by Laurie Klein

I love you, Lord
And I lift my voice
To worship You Oh, my soul rejoice!

Take joy my KingIn what You hear
Let it be a sweet, sweet sound in Your ear

I love you, Lord...

No comments: