Friday, April 06, 2012



So, I realized that to validate my post on pintrest, I needed a blog post about it.

I fancy myself improvisational in the kitchen, and these venison and butternut squash meatballs are evidence of that.

We are in the process of preparing to move. So, a few weeks ago, I was trying to use up some of my frozen vegetable purees by doing some "Deceptively Delicious" baking. However, supper time came around, and I had promised my husband spaghetti and meatballs. I had used up all the eggs.

Vegetable purees are perfect for providing moisture and cohesion and butternut squash turned out to be the perfect compliment to the venison. I used about 1 and a half cups of butternut squash puree with 1 pound of venison. I added my usual dry oats, crackers, crushed red pepper, garlic salt, minced onion, and worcestershire sauce. Then, since I was going out on a limb anyway, I went big and added some rosemary.

It was awesome. These meatballs tasted moist and earthy...the red pepper gave it just a little zing and the rosemary made them a delicious complement in a variety of pasta dishes.

I loved them with the spaghetti and marinara, but with penne noodles and olive oil and herbs, delicious! Anyway, I'm afraid I don't have more specifics on the recipe...but I think the more important thing is have fun in the kitchen and don't be afraid to try something new. Yum!

No comments: